Thursday, April 5, 2012

E is for Elemental

Elemental

Elemental By Emily White

Quote: The moment I let go of my control, the pain vanished, replaced by hunger--for what, I didn't know yet. All I did know was that every cell in my body ached to devour. (Ella)

Summary:
  Just because seventeen-year-old Ella can burn someone to the ground with her mind doesn’t mean she should. But she wants to. For ten years--ever since she was a small child--Ella has been held prisoner. Now that she has escaped, she needs answers.  Who is she? Why was she taken? And who is the boy with the beautiful green eyes who haunts her memories? Is Ella the prophesied Destructor... or will she be the one who's destroyed? (From Emily White's Blog)

Violence/Romance:
 Ella is beaten and bleeding in the beginning of the book and is wounded later as well. The descriptions are not graphic. A woman is killed in a fire that Ella creates. In one part of the book, one man tries to force himself on Ella when he is killed by her. Meir describes the deaths of his family and is hurt quite badly at one point. One person is burned badly and is in a coma. A ceremony is described that involves burning skin.
Ella and Calien kiss a few times. Their feelings for each other involve a need but nothing happens.

Spirituality:
There is a god named Manoo who has to devour someone to keep in power. There also is a god, El, who seems to oversee all.

Overall:
I really liked this book. It had a si-fi feeling but still had fantasy in it. It drew me in and I just had to finish it.
I think that the idea that there is a plan to this world is my favorite part.
12345678910

~Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment