Wednesday, April 4, 2012

D is for Destruction

Say you glance at a newspaper/magazine, for just long enough to read all of the top headlines. Which type stand out the most?

I don't know about you, but for me it's not the ones that are happy and cheerful, it's the ones that talk about complete and utter chaos.

Because they're interesting. Because they could be life-changing. They can leave you thinking, and can stay in your head for hours (or longer).

It's the same way with books.

I'm not going to remember something where there was no I-can't-believe-that-just-happened moments in it--there needs to be something in there to shake it up. You never knew what you have until it's gone.

For me, at least, I find that the times I care about the characters most is when they're either dead or badly injured (mentally or physically) and can never be the same--because, then, I realize just how much I loved them and therefore just how much I miss them and hope in vain that they can be restored to what they used to be.

Don't. Be. Afraid. To cause mass destruction in your book! Destruction happens in real life, why shouldn't it happen in books?!

So, tell me in the comments--what's the big chaotic moment in your book?


~Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment