Tuesday, April 3, 2012

C is for Courageous

No, this is not about the recent movie, although the soundtrack by Casting Crowns did have a bit of influence. It would have been about the movie if I had seen it! Because I haven't, however, I am using my own take on being courageous.

I have had a streak of funny luck lately. I have been seeing, listening to and hearing about movies and books like Courageous. (eg. Facing the Giants, The Blind Side ect.) They all seem to have a common theme. They all are about being courageous. Facing the Giants shows courage. The coach of a football team makes a commitment to trust in God in all circumstances. The coach is at risk of losing his job, his house is falling apart, his car breaks down constantly and he and his wife are unable to have kids. He is falling into the trap of failure. Yet, when things are at their worst, God sends a man to give this coach a message. It gives him the insiration to make a resolution.

Grant Taylor: I want God to bless this team so much people will talk about what He did. But it means we gotta give Him our best in every area. And if we win, we praise Him. And if we lose, we praise Him. Either way we honor Him with our actions and our attitudes. So I'm askin' you... What are you living for? I resolve to give God everything I've got, then I'll leave the results up to Him. I want to know if you'll join me."

So Grant (The Coach) is courageous in his goal to give God his best in all things. More examples? Take The Blind Side (one of my personal favorites) A woman named Leigh Anne takes in a black kid named Michael who is the son of a drug addicted woman and lives on the streets but was accepted into a private christian school. The courage in this movie is the courage that Leigh Anne shows in accepting Michael.


Elaine: [talking about the Tuohy's Christmas card photo with Michael in it]
Elaine: He looks so big compared to you like Jessica Lange right next to King Kong
[amidst chuckles]
Beth: Hey, does Michael get the family discount at Taco Bell? 'Cause if he does Sean is gonna lose a few stores.
Leigh Anne Touhy: He's a good kid.
Elaine: Well, I say you make it official and just adopt him
[laughs]
Leigh Anne Touhy: He's going to be eighteen in a few months it doesn't make much sense to legally adopt.
[they all stare at her]
Sherry: Leigh Ann, is this some sort of white guilt thing?
Elaine: What would your Daddy say?
Leigh Anne Touhy: Um... before or after he turns around in his grave? Daddy's been gone five years Elaine. Make matters worse you were at the funeral, remember? You were Chanel-ing that awful black hat? Look, here's the deal, I don't need y'all to approve my choices alright, but I do ask that you respect them. You have no idea what this boy has been through and if this becomes some running diatribe, I can find overpriced salad a lot closer to home.
Sherry: Leigh Ann, I'm so sorry, we didn't mean to...
Elaine: No, we didn't really.
Beth: I think what you are doing is so great. Opening up your home to him... honey, you are changing that boy's life.
Leigh Anne Touhy: No, he's changing mine.
Elaine: [snidely] And that's great for you. But, seriously, Leigh Ann, aren't you worried for Collins? I mean, she's a beautiful white girl, and he's a big, black boy.
Leigh Anne Touhy: Shame on you.
[gets up]
Leigh Anne Touhy: I'm getting this. [she leaves]

A bit longish, but one of the best quotes from the movie. Leigh Anne is showing God in her actions; she has the courage to stand up for Mike.

How about one last example. This one is not from a movie. This example is real. It is something I see all the time. Well, I see different things about it. What I want to see is Christians being courageous. Sometimes you see people like Tim Tebow who honor God in front of the world. Those people are the ones who will risk embarrassment or worse to honor their God. I want to be one of those people. There is another side to this though. Unfortunately, the best example I see of this side is at a camp I love to go to. In this camp, people are not showing God in what they do. There are power games and drama from people who are christians. It seems like they are just saying they believe in God but are not courageous enough to honor God in all they do.

Well... Here is my challange to you. I know I don't post very much Bible related stuff, but this verse is a good beginning to my challange. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.”

Joshua 1:9
My challenge is to be courageous. I am going to try to let God show in all that I do. Particularly in the book I am writing. I want God to show through me. Good luck and God Bless!

~Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment