Friday, August 26, 2011

Theme of the Week

The Winner this week: Petra!

“No,” Raven whispered as she shook her head at Doctor Brothers. “No, no, no!” Her voice escalated to a shout. “You're wrong.”

“Raven, I know that this is so sudden for you. We did our best to help her, but your mom is-”

“No! Stop lying,” Raven screamed as hot tears poured down her trembling cheeks. Dr. Brothers tried to speak again and to hand her some pamphlets on grief. She shoved them away and watched them flutter to the floor. Then she spun around and ran toward the exit. The doctor called after her, but she already was gone.

The hospital was located close to the ocean. Raven could hear the waves crashing on the rocks not far away. She kept running for the beach. She longed for the cold waves to wash over her and drown out her grief. She ran past a mother and daughter laughing as they strolled along the water's edge. Raven glared angrily through her tears at the little girl. How dare she have a mother when Raven could not? Why me? Why is it my mom who has to die? How am I supposed to live without her? Where are You, God, now? I don't see You reaching down and holding me or comforting me. Where are You? What am I supposed to do?

Her feet pounded faster on the hot sand. So much anger was building in her, she just wanted to pummel something. She tripped on a jagged stone in the sand and looked down. Blood oozed from a cut in her chocolate-brown skin. Raven dug at the rock until it came loose from the seaweed and gritty sand. She picked it up with both hands and flung it into the frothy waves.

“There!” She shrieked. “There, you stupid rock - go drown in the sea.” She dropped to her knees, spent from the energy of running and crying. “Aahhh,” Raven beat her fists into the sand. Her throat was scorched, but she kept on screaming.

When her voice gave out, she stopped. Her body still shook as she cried. Then she felt a warm hand on her shoulder. She looked up and saw a girl.

“Hi”, the girl said. “I'm Clara. I saw you crying and I wondered if I could help you.”

“I, um. My mom – she's g-gone. She's just gone...” Raven sobbed. Clara knelt beside her.

“Oh, I'm so sorry. Will you let me pray for you?” Raven nodded, so Clara continued. “Dear Father in heaven, this girl needs you now. Let her know that you love her and will stay by her side. Give her Your everlasting peace. Thank You for Your faithfulness to us. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.”

Raven looked over at the girl, Clara, and stopped crying. Her heart still ached, but peace began to take hold of her.

“Thanks,” She said.

“Hey, if I was lost inside, I hope that someone would be there for me. When I saw you kneeling in the sand I felt God whisper in my ear to go and give you a hand. I'm just glad I could help a little bit.”

-Petra

No comments:

Post a Comment