Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Big Words

Leslie here from a hectic few weeks of camp and relatives. Back to charm and inform you on... anything I feel like!
I know, I know, big words are a bit of a tangent, but I love to use them. Here are a few of my personal favorites.
Antidisestablishmentarianism
 Antidisestablishmentarianism is a political position that originated in 19th-century Britain in opposition to proposals for the disestablishment of the Church of England, that is, to remove the Anglican Church's status as the state church of England, Ireland and Wales.
(wikipedia)

Araskavedekatriaphobia
Araskavedekatriaphobia is the fear of Friday the 13th.

Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia
Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia is the fear of long words.

Antidisestablishmentarianismist
A person who believes in Antidisestablishmentarianism.


The longest word that uses only one vowel, strengths.
The longest word with NO vowels, (not counting 'y') rhythms!
The longest word we use normally, uncharacteristically.
What is the longest word in the English dictionary, smiles! Why? Because there is a mile between the s's! But what about beleaguered? There is a league in the middle of that word.

Well, I hope you liked my tangent. One final note, What is the real longest word? The one that comes after "- and now a word from our sponsors"! (Said by Jack Benny from Golden Radio)

1 comment:

  1. Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia is my favorite word -- and the only one of the above that I can pronounce! Aren't big words fun?

    We enjoy playing Sesquipedalian--but our guests don't! :)

    ReplyDelete