Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Barbie Dolls

Because of the TOTW, I am blogging about Barbies. Well, not exactly. Like I said in the TOTW, am I the only 16 year old who plays with Barbies? Really? Maybe its not so much the fact that they are dolls as they are now a sign of "being a little girl". It seems ironic that the styles of Barbies seem to be aimed at teens. Aren't all the girls super skinny with stylish clothes? I dont think I have ever seen a Barbie being bought by a teen. Why are we too grown up for this? Maybe I still play with Barbies because I am not trying to grow up quickly. Maybe its because I still love to give my imagination a good work out everyday. I mean, I dont play with Barbies everyday, but I do pretend all the time. That is where a lot of my story ideas come from. I put myself in a situation and just imagine. I know I am an oddity. Most teens are occupied with the real world like boyfriends or school or sports or things like that. It might also be that I am homeschooled and am not really into boyfriends or sports. I do my school and then I have all the time in the world to imagine. So, I think that we are losing our imagination as teens. Now I am not saying that we need to push the real world out, but we all can use a good dose of pretending now and then. What do you think? I would love to talk about this with you in the comments. 
~Leslie

1 comment:

  1. I agree! I gave up playing with barbies when I was about thirteen - mostly because my friends didn't play with them any more. But that doesn't mean I don't "play house". My pretend world just shifted from plastic dolls to words on a page. And before my imagination shows up in Times New Roman font, it's been mulled over, expanded, and explored in my head.

    Being homeschooled, I agree with Leslie about having more time to imagine - though it isn't like I sit around and create castles in the air all day. I think while I work. While I'm knitting, getting ready for school, and riding in the car, I'm thinking up plot lines and fantastic quips I should have used instead of being tongue-tied yesterday...

    So, yeah - Go Barbies!

    ReplyDelete